Friday, August 20, 2010

Installing the MySQL RubyGem on Ubuntu

I have successfully installed the MySQL driver for Ruby on Windows and Mac OS X but I had not installed it on Ubuntu until today.

I am assuming that you have already installed the MySQL server.  I am using MySQL 5.1.
$ sudo apt-get install mysql-server

Install the MySQL database client library.  I am not certain of this but I believe that the number '15' in 'libmysqlclient15-dev' indicates the version.  This is apparently the most current one and the default version on Ubuntu 10.4 as of today.
$ sudo apt-get install libmysqlclient15-dev

Install RubyGems if you have not done so already.  I am using Ruby 1.9.1.
 $ sudo apt-get install rubygems1.9

If everything was successfuly, then you should be able to use the mysql RubyGem in  your Ruby scripts.

No comments:

Post a Comment