Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Circular Google: Useless Top Search Results

Circular Google: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=401339

I google a lot.  Google is my public library.  If I have a question, I google for the answer.  I also happen to think that I am in the majority.  (Note: In the rant that follows, I am not blaming Google.  Google is great!)

Sometimes, not too rarely, the number one Google hit contains a forum question similar or identical to mine followed by an rude and unhelpful jerk responding, "Google it!"  This annoys me so much.  The reason why this annoys me so much is because the forum response will not only be seen by the person posing the question but also by others with the same question.  Eventually, this forum thread might become the number one search result, an useless top search result.

Thus, please if you are going to bother responding to someone on a forum, don't respond "Google it!"  I did!!!  Check out the Circular Google image above to see a perfect example of a useless top search result.

2 comments:

  1. It's only useless if you don't know how to use google. Searching for '/opt usage' gives an authoritative document about the filesystem usage as it's second link.

    ReplyDelete