Saturday, September 4, 2010

Installing Ubuntu 10.4 on HP Pavilion tx2000

Ubuntu 10.4 on HP Pavilion tx2000: Monitor 1
Ubuntu 10.4 on HP Pavilion tx2000: Monitor2
In a previous post, I described how easy it was to install Windows 7 on my HP Pavilion tx2000.  It worked almost perfectly out of the box.

Though, I am beginning to like Windows again thanks to Windows 7, I installed Ubuntu because I do Linux programming.

Wireless, tablet screen, and multiple monitors worked without having to hack anything.  Ubuntu supports them.

Things that don't work:
  • HP Quick Launch Buttons around the screen border
    • DVD, QuickPlay, Settings, and Rotation
  • Mute button doesn't turn red when muted but the volume buttons do work.
As you have read, the list of things that didn't work using the standard Ubuntu 10.4 desktop installation were very few.  They are also identical to things to didn't work after installing Windows 7.  HP drivers are needed.  I don't think that I will bother for now.

I must also say that the start up and shutdown times are amazing! The picture above demonstrates my Ubuntu desktop.  I, of course, applied a dark theme to the controls and the window borders.  It looks and feels great.  I hope that this helps somebody trying do the same thing or something similar.

No comments:

Post a Comment